This is a blog about Norway, Vikings, Norwegian culture, history, travel, language, crafts, food, tradition, sites to see, places to go etc. Also about other interesting places, cultures and languages.

Monday, August 29, 2016

LOFOTEN
Home of my heart




This is my first blog for a very long time. So far I have never written any blog in English, so this might be interesting. I have chosen to start by showing you some pictures I have on my computer, taken 9 years ago, but the landscape has not changed much in that time.

I was born in Lofoten and lived there until I was 10. I love the place. That is where my heart is, but I would not want to live there. It is north of the Arctic Circle, so nature can be a real challenge in itself. In mid-winter, you don’t see the sun for 5 weeks, because it’s below the horizon. And in the summer, there is no night. The sun may go down for an hour, but just below the horizon, so it doesn’t get dark. And you can see the midnight sun. It’s beautiful.

If course, it can be beautiful in the winter as well. The Aurora Borealis (northern lights) are fantastic. But then you may also have storms that can swallow a ship. The wind can shake your house so violently, that you need to be careful opening cupboards in the morning; your cups might fall out. And if it’s snowing at the same time, the roads will be covered and you won’t be able to see where they are.

But I love the people. They are friendly, easygoing, openhearted and hospitable, but if you live there, beware if the gossip. People can sometime even tell you the color of your socks, before you get up in the morning. I suppose they don’t have all that much to do up there.

Lofoten is a group of islands lying in the northern part of Norway. Many tourists go there for a truckload of different reasons. In the next few days, I’ll receive more pictures, so that I can show you some of the different things you can experience there. Right now I can tell you about it and attach some links, so you can look it up for yourself.

People go to Lofoten to surf, dive, fish, or simply for the scenery. There is a Viking festival every summer, and whale safaris are very popular.

The nature is majestic. You’ll find green mountains, white beaches and an ocean that is so clear you’ll think you’re in the in the Caribbean. Unfortunately the water is too cold for most people, and the surfers have to wear wetsuits, not to freeze.

There is a Viking farm that is open all summer. They have built a longhouse, Viking style, similar to the one that was on the same site 1100 years ago. People live there all summer. Paid actors live life like the Vikings did, to show tourists how the Vikings lived, farmed, ate, dressed etc. They cook, so you may taste the food. They have a boat by the sea, and they take tourists out, so you may sail like a Viking. And of course, they have souvenirs.

You can also go boating, in an RIB – a small, open motorboat. This is not for sissys, especially if the weather is bad. I have never tried it, because I very easily get seasick. My brother has tried it a couple of times, and he loves it. He said: “You tell people they have to try it; it’s an experience of a lifetime.” Judge for yourself. Click on the link, and see what I’m talking about.

My first picture (on top) is taken in a place called Smedvik in Vestvågøy. It’s just a small hole in the road, with just a few living people and a lot of dead ones. 


There is an old cemetery there, and many of my relatives are buried there, among them my grandparents, great aunts and uncles and my sister.


The path up from the cemetery can be very idyllic in the summer, while in winter it may be covered in three feet of snow or more.


This picture is taken at my grandfather’s old farm. My grandad passed away more than 30 years ago, and the farm has been sold, but it is a distant relative who lives there now, and we drop by whenever we are in the area. Borge - Vestvågøy.


This is Vikjord, also on Vestvågøy. I lived there with my mother and my siblings for 10 years, before we moved away. Our family lived there for four generations, and the small farms up there are still in the family, but there have been people living there for more than 1000 years. As kids we used to do a lot of fishing in that bay, look for crabs and go swimming, I guess we were true Vikings.

No comments:

Post a Comment